So easy and so delicious. My family loved it, I hope your does too.
With thanks to Angela Liddon The Oh She Glows Cookbook
Serves 3 Prep time: 5-10 minutes Cook time: 8-10 minutes
gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, sugar-free, grain-fee option
9 ounces (255g) uncooked pasta (use gluten-free if desired)
1-2 cloves garlic, to taste
1/4 cup (60ml) fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
4-6 teaspoons (20-30ml) fresh lemon juice to taste
1 tablespoon (15ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 ripe medium avocado, pitted
1/4-1/2 teaspoon (1-2ml) fine-grain sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
lemon zest for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- While the pasta cooks, make the sauce: In a food processor, combine the garlic and basil and pulse to mince.
- Add the lemon juice, oil, avocado flesh, and 1 tablespoon (15ml) water and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add another 1 tablespoon (15ml) water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add the avocado sauce and stir until combined. You can gently rewarm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
- Top with lemon zest, pepper, and fresh basil leaves, if desired.
Because avocados oxidize quickly after you slice them, this sauce is best served immediately. If you do have leftover sauce, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
For a grain-free version, serve this avocado sauce with spiralized or julienned zucchini or on a bed of spaghetti squash.