Perfect for fall and winter, like a cozy sweater. Serve this with a side salad with a homemade dressing and you have a complete meal.
With thanks to onegreenplanet.org
Dairy-Free Serves: 4-6
8oz uncooked ribbon noodles
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 Tbsp whole wheat flour, divided
2 cups beefless beef broth or vegetable broth
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp tomato paste
1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (half portobello and half white button mushrooms), cut into large 2 inch chunks
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 cup vegan sour cream (optional)
10 turns of fresh ground, black pepper
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, minced
- Cook the noodles per the directions on the package. Under cook them a bit because they will be cooked again once incorporated into the sauce.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add the olive oil and sauté the onions for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the broth, soy sauce, lemon juice, and tomato paste, while stirring at the same time. Stir until mixture becomes thick and bubbly, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, sage and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the mushrooms have shrunk in size.
- Add the vinegar and simmer for 4 more minutes.
- Add the noodles, sour cream, 1 Tbsp of flour, black pepper, and parsley and cook on low for an additional 5 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley.
You can make this dish gluten-free if you use gluten-free pasta, gluten-free soy sauce and substitute the whole wheat flour with rice flour. If you want a soy free version, swap out the soy sauce with sea salt to taste.