Even before going to a plant based diet I did not eat chicken wings. Chicken on a bone- blegh! So Buffalo wings were never on my list of yummy things I would eat when out. I tried this recipe because I had never had Buffalo wings and because I had a head of cauliflower in the fridge that needed to get eaten and fast. No regrets. And it was easy. Instead of putting the cauliflower on the kale I put it beside it. Paired with sweet potato fries and a homemade Buttermilk Ranch (mine was dill based instead of parsley) this was a delicious and easy meal.
With thanks to Mary Mattern from the cookbook Nom Yourself
Makes 4 servings of salad
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
Coconut oil cooking spray
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup hot sauce (Mary prefers Frank’s RedHot and that’s what I used)
2 cups chopped kale leaves
Buttermilk Ranch Dip (see Other yummy stuff)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix the water, flour, garlic powder, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Dip each piece of cauliflower into the batter and shake all access batter off. Then place the pieces on the parchment paper. Repeat the process until all the cauliflower pieces are coated.
- Spray the tops of the cauliflower with coconut oil cooking spray. Do this lightly by holding the bottle about a foot from the cauliflower.
- Bake for 17 minutes.
- When the cauliflower is cooking, melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the hot sauce and stir. Once combined, remove the pan from the heat.
- When the cauliflower is ready, put the florets in a heat-safe bowl and pour the hot sauce mixture over them. Toss to coat.
- Place the cauliflower back on the parchment paper and bake for another 5 minutes.Massage the kale until it is a bit wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Place the kale in a bowl. Top with the Buffalo cauliflower and the Buttermilk Ranch Dip.